This week, I did my first exercise class since giving birth. It had been 15 weeks so it felt like it was time to ‘get back on it’. But ooooh, the DOMs. They hurt so good. Would you think I was a sicko if I said I’d missed them?
My gym wife messaged me afterwards to ask if I’d got my six pack back by doing the class*. My abs do hurt like they should be ripped now but, alas, no. I still look mumsy. I still have a linea negra. I still wobble where I didn’t used to. I loved my pregnant body. I loved my pre-pregnancy body. However, it’s been tough loving my postpartum body.
While I’m proud of my body and the miracle it’s achieved, I’m not used to the me I see in the mirror. I know I need the right fuel to allow me to feed and grow my healthy baby so now is not the right time to try to ‘get my body back’. It’s not my body right now anyway. It hasn’t been my body since the moment I saw the positive pregnancy test. And that’s ok.
What I can do though, is to make sure I’m taking care of this body. So, it’s time to resume food prepping. Not to the same extent because ain’t no-new-mummy got time for that. One step at a time though, right? So it started like this…
Super Swamp Smoothies
For each smoothie, you will need:
- 1 scoop of protein powder**
- 1 tbsp chia seed
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp spirulina ( I would start with 1/2 tsp and gradually increase this as you adjust to the taste. Admittedly, it tastes like I imagine drowning in the sea feels.)
- 1 tbsp wheat grass powder
- 1/2 cup frozen berries
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup frozen kale
- 1 banana (don’t add this until it’s time to blend)
- Optional extras: 1 tbsp peanut butter and/or 1 tbsp raw cacao
- Decide how many smoothies you’d like to prep.
- Set out enough freezer bags. An easy way to prep these without everything going everywhere is to set up the same number of protein shakers or pint glasses. Line each one with the freezer bag.
- Put the ingredients for one smoothie in each bag. Don’t put the banana in!
- Remove the bags and tie them. Throw them straight into the freezer.
- When you want a smoothie, tip the contents of one bag into your blender. Add a banana and 1 1/2 cups water and blend up. Add more water if it’s still too thick for your liking.
- You can throw the freezer bags back in the freezer to reuse next time if you like. This will save on money & waste!
Enjoy. Or don’t.
*I’ve never had a six pack. Four at best and only when pulling my best Instagram angle pose.
**I use a mix of unflavoured hemp, rice and pea protein. You can use whichever protein powder you prefer.