I have a few people visiting in the next couple of days and was trying to think of something quick and easy to bake. I haven’t baked since before baby and it felt like time to get my bake on. But what to make?
I fancied something oaty and was originally toying with the idea of some no bake peanut butter oat balls but one of my guests doesn’t like peanut butter (I know, I know – I didn’t know that was a real thing either!) and I couldn’t be bothered getting sticky hands from rolling gooey balls out.
I settled on the idea of flapjack. My mum makes amazing flapjack. I have always been envious of her flapjack making skill. I am a slightly* competitive person and needed to win the flapjack battle. I’ve tried for years to make a decent vegan flapjack. The results have ranged from break your teeth hard to flaky crumbly sawdust and finally to soggy oats in treacle. At last though, I have perfected the winningest winner of a recipe. It’s the best. So good that I may** have eaten half the tray all by myself.
Super Gooey Flapjack
10 Tbsp dairy free margarine
1 and 1/4cups brown sugar
7 Tbsp golden syrup
3 and 3/4 cups oats
- Line a deep baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Melt syrup , sugar and margarine in the microwave. Stir well.
- Pour this mixture over the oats and mix thoroughly. Try to eat less than half of the mixture. Good luck.
- Press into the baking tray.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 28-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool partially and then cut into pieces.
*I am the most competitive person. Ever.
** I did.